Thursday, August 7, 2014

Reiki at Sharp Memoiral Hospital



First published in the San Diego Reiki Corps Newsletter in 2011, vol. 9

I was giving Maria, an Oncology patient at Sharp Memorial Hospital, her first Reiki treatment; she dozed off easily after a few minutes. As I completed the treatment she awoke and to my surprise began to cry. I asked her, in Spanish, are you OK? She replied, “I have not felt so at peace in a very long time. God Bless you.”

As a member of the San Diego Reiki Corps, I volunteer at Sharp Memorial Hospital. I have been treating Oncology patients with Reiki energy in One West for two years, before that in Eight North for several years. I’m amazed at how quickly time has passed.

Michael, a Leukemia patient, at the end of his session thanked me with a look of wonder saying, "The headache I had going into the treatment, is now gone." Invariably, once a patient has had a Reiki treatment they will request more during their stay. Some will ask about receiving treatment after leaving the hospital.

The first thing you notice about the Oncology unit at Sharp Memorial is the dedication of the nursing staff; the absolute concentration they exhibit in their work. When we tell them why we’re there, they acknowledge us, and smile immediately. They know that the Reiki energy we lovingly give will help their patients recover that much quicker.  Even doctors, when we come across them of an evening, will acquiesce to our presence and let us do what we came to do. First time patients, after receiving a treatment, are surprised at how very relaxed they feel. 

What do I get out of it? I think that’s evident. The look of wonder, the smile from the patient or the patient’s family for helping their loved one, is enough for me.

Emmy Martinez
Reiki Master

San Diego, CA




No comments:

Post a Comment